St Bride Foundation’s Room 19 is, as regular readers of the blog know, an absolute treasure trove of wonderful items. Even so, coming across a sign that used to sit above Westminster Press’s front door was a pleasant surprise.
Eric Gill designed the sign – probably here at St Bride – and invoiced Gerard Meynell of Westminster Press one guinea for the service. When the press house closed in 1929, the sign was given as a donation to St Bride, in a way completing its circle of life.
As it happens, Gerard Meynell was also one of the editors of the Imprint, a trade periodical printed at the Westminster Press. Unfortunately there were only ever nine issues printed; we, of course, are in possession of a copy of the first issue, which also now resides in Room 19.